These two types of enterprises account for 99.9% of the entire private enterprises of Korea.
A Micro Enterprise is defined as an enterprise employing nine or less people (in the service industry, four or less people). The number of MEs in Korea amounts to approximately 3 million.
A Small-sized Enterprise is an enterprise that has annual sales revenue less than 1 to 12 billion Korean Won (threshold varies with industry), and Small-sized Enterprises include Micro Enterprises. In Korea there are 378,000 Small-sized enterprises excluding Micro Enterprises.
A Medium-sized Enterprise is an enterprise that is bigger than Small-sized Enterprise and has annual sales revenue less than 40 to 150 billion Korean Won (threshold varies with industry). There are 102,000 Medium-sized Enterprises in Korea.
Recognization & Processing of national business survey
- Large Enterprises(LE) 71,736 (2015)
- Under 4.4 billion USD Total asset value
- High Potential Enterprises(HPE) 3,558 (2015)
- Small and Medium Enterprises(SME) 3.542 millon 2014.
- Mid-sized Enterprises : Under 130 million USD (average sales of last 3 years)
- Medium-sized Enterprises 102,000
- Small-sized Enterprises : 1~12 billion KRW (0.8~10 million USD)
- Small-sized Enterprises 378,000
- Micro-Enterprises(ME) - Number of Employees : 1~9
- Micro-Enterprises 3.063 million
Source : Recognization & Processing of national business survey (National Statistics Office, 2014)